Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Asterisk/Asterix

*
This is an asterisk.

ASTER-ISK

It's used to indicate a qualifying statement that must be attached to some word or sentence.

For some reason, people seem to confuse it with this person.


This is Asterix.

He's a French cartoon character who knocks about in ancient Gaul (as France used to be called a while back).

He fights a constant series of battles against the Romans along with his various friends. And, because he's got access to a magic potion, he and his mates always win.

It's supposed to be funny but, having read one of the stories, I disagree.

As you can see, there's a world of difference between the two.

So, to recap:

Asterisk - a little star-like thing that sits above a word or statement that needs some form of later qualification.

Asterix - an ancient Gaul in cartoon form who is constantly engaged in less-than-funny capers with Roman soldiers.

It's obvious when you spot it.

6 comments:

Celular said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Frank said...

First time reading your blog and all I can say is LOL.

Very interesting!

Hayes Thompson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kirin said...

hi,
I read your blog and I like your post in this blog. really cool..keep it up! This is my blog http://creditcardspartner.com, it's about secured student credit card .

Cheers

Adrian Callaghan said...

Does anybody not have a blog?

whilldtkwriter said...

Love the explanation of asterisk and Asterix (with image!). Found this article during my google journey over asterisk vs asterick, asterick being a common pronunciation. (The incorrect pronunciation and use always bugs me.)