Thursday, November 08, 2007

CUNTS

No, it's not a nice word but at the moment it precisely sums up how I feel.

My art director and I were made redundant today.

Redundant. God that's hard to type.

What made it worse was opening a letter that had been biked to my house by the time I arrived home. Inside was the 'reasoning' why my job 'was being considered for redundancy'.

You see, it's all 'process' these days and part of this process is to have a system that allows candidates for redundancy to be selected 'fairly'. So they came up with a load of criteria and marked us out of five for each. Presumably they'd marked our entire department and then looked at the scores.

And I'm assuming our scores as a team were the poorest.

Even though we were given five out of five for 'concept creation'.

Which, funnily enough, is our job.

We were marked down for over-spending the budget on certain pieces of work.

In other words, going the extra mile to get things done properly.

Fuck.

We were also marked down because we didn't get on with planning. Apparently.

Of course this marking system makes it very easy for creative heads to turn personal likes and dislikes into cold figures. But it doesn't seem very fair to me. In fact it seems pathetically arbitary.

The net result of this 'fairness' is that because the company is seen to have attempted to deal with job losses in a 'proper' way, we get fuck-all money.

Which I realise sounds mercenary but... we all have to live in the real world.

I'm trying not to think about it too much because if I do, I get scared.

6 comments:

Charlie Bass said...

Crikey! Don't stop posting, best of luck with whatever your next step is and keep up the blog!

Scamp said...

Sorry to hear your news, Martin.

I've been 'let go' twice in my so-called career. It truly does happen to everyone.

You will bounce back I'm sure.

Anna said...

Shit Martin that's rubbish news. Let me know if you want to meet up for a drink sometime! Wherever/whenever

Martin said...

Cheers for the comments. I'm very touched.

M'colleague and I are working on the 'bounce back' and we've had some very encouraging meetings at a variety of places.

As he says, there's a load of agencies in London that don't know we exist.

Well, they soon will.

]-[appy Thought said...

As a first time reader I'm sorry to hear about your "redundancy", especially under such dubious circumstances. It's also made me worried because I don't get on with planning either and nothing we've done recently has come anywhere near the target budget.

I am now officially worried! But more that that, I'm angry at your old agency because they don't seem to have the balls to keep on a team that isn't afraid to break the rules in order to do some genuinely creative work.

I hope you find a new job with an agency in full possession of a spine soon :)

pisspoorenglish said...

Just found your blog through, pseudocidaltendencies (or content flavoured trousers, not sure which he prefers to be called...anyway)

I was also made redundant around December. My ex-company also used this scoring system, though to add extra terror to it they called it the Matrix!!

Hope your back on track, blog's a good read.